Will Crystal Palace’s summer discontent cost them this season?

It has been just over ten weeks since Roy Hodgson stood in front of the Palace faithful at Selhurst Park and addressed the fans. He congratulated the fans for their support over the difficult season and he spoke about his plans for the future. Palace had just beaten West Brom 2-0 and the outlook seemed bright in South London.

Fast forward a couple of months and Palace have brought in one player on a free transfer, their most prized asset is becoming harder to keep and, rather than looking upwards, Roy Hodgson could be preparing fans for another season of struggle.

Potential departure of Wilfried Zaha

Zaha’s future at Palace remains the subject of speculation this summer but he is still likely to stay at Crystal Palace this season. However, this doesn’t mean that the interest from Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund should go ignored as it has become even harder for the Eagles to keep their star man in the summer window.
London rivals Chelsea have also shown interest in the Ivorian but Eagles boss Hodgson has said that Zaha is not for sale despite reports linking him away from the South London outfit.
Palace’s valuation of Zaha could put off the big clubs as he is estimated to be valued at around £70m, which is understandable as the man is simply irreplaceable for the Eagles.
With the transfer window ending in less than a day, it is unlikely to see Zaha leaving Palace. As the clock ticks, Palace fans will be reassured that Zaha just might remain as the Eagles’ favourite and inspire the team to a successful campaign.

Sale of Yohan Cabaye and Bakary Sako

We can all admit that it was upsetting when Cabaye left. The three seasons he spent at Palace were memorable and he certainly made an impact on his time at SE25. Cabaye  posted a heartfelt message to the Palace fans thanking them for all the support they gave him even when times were difficult.
The 32-year-old Frenchman ended his contract at Palace and signed a two-year-deal with UAE side Al-Nasr, who play in the Arabian Gulf League.
It’s a similar situation with Sako as he never reached the full potential that he was capable of at Selhurst Park. The winger turned down a new contract offered by Palace and has moved on this summer. The Malian international is without a club but the form he showed coming off the bench should encourage teams to sign him, especially when he’s on a free.

Sako will be looking for first-team football which is something that he wasn’t guaranteed in SE25. He bagged a few goals last season and fans would’ve liked to see the Malian stay at the club.

What could happen if Ruben Loftus-Cheek doesn’t return?

Chelsea have recenty signed Jorginho which gives Palace an opportunity to swoop in for Loftus-Cheek. Loftus-Cheek is now back at Chelsea and he hasn’t done his chances any harm of getting into Maurizio Sarri’s good books. The Chelsea man was impressive in his appearances for England in the World Cup and those performances could earn him a few starts for Chelsea over the coming season.
The impact that Loftus-Cheek had on Palace last season was huge. He pulled off countless outstanding performances that had fans on their feet and we still can’t believe just how good he was during his loan spell at Palace.
However, it looks like Loftus-Cheek will find it difficult yet again to find first-team action for the Blues, but it also looks unlikely that he’ll return to the Eagles.
The Eagles might not need him as much as they did at the start of the window with former Schalke player Max Meyer joining on a free. On top of that, Kouyate has signed for Crystal Palace with the Senegalese completing his medical on Wednesday. Recent reports have told us that Jordan Ayew is also likely to join Palace.

Verdict

I personally think that Crystal Palace will be fine in the upcoming season. The failure to act on players that they were linked with was evident earlier on in the window but Palace look like they are turning it around.
Meyer is a bargain signing for the Eagles and he is exactly what they need as Palace don’t seem to have a recognisable attacking midfielder since Loftus-Cheek’s loan expired.
Kouyate is also a great addition to the defensive midfield and will add a lot of height that will be useful when protecting the back line. This also provides competition for James McArthur which will encourage the Scotsman to carry out the same form from last season.
The Eagles should finish mid-table comfortably this season but we all know that the South London outfit never make it easy for themselves do they?

One thought on “Will Crystal Palace’s summer discontent cost them this season?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *